Originally a summer fishing spot favored by the Native Americans, Peddocks would later become pasture land for
European settlers. By 1898, part of the island was purchased for the construction of Fort Andrews, which remained
through World War II
as an Italian POW camp. The fort's dilapidated structures remain though the
been restored. The island was
also the site
where scenes from Martin Scorcese's "Shutter Island" was filmed.